"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt



Wednesday 15 May 2013

Garden gnomes and Barcelona half marathon

A long, long, time ago, I can still remember, how that... Dammit David this isn't American Pie...

Ok, so a long, long, time ago, (and for the record I can still remember) when I had fully functioning knee ligaments and a half decent level of fitness I was contemplating racing abroad.

The Barcelona half marathon to be exact. Why you ask? Well...
1. I've always thought it would be amazing to run abroad
2. I absolutely love Barcelona - my favourite city in the world (with the exception of Liverpool, obviously)
3. The race generally takes place around my birthday - 25th February for the inquisitive amongst you.

I was dead set on running it this year but my knee had other ideas, so I had to forgo that master plan. Now however, it is open for entries and is 9 days before my birthday. 

In terms of price the race is about €25, and flights are looking like £130 return. So not a mega expensive excursion.

I really do want to do this, and once I've got a few more months fitness under my belt (and my current run in with shin splints has gone) I will look to book it.

You're probably wondering about the garden gnome reference in the post title? Well... When I left for work last Tuesday, on stepping out the house a garden gnome was right outside my door.

I put it at the front of my drive so that the rightful owner could reclaim it (I assume one of the local types had though it would be funny to take it from someone's front garden and placed outside my door.

Anyway, come Wednesday the garden gnome was still there, so I have decided to befriend him... Very smart he is too:



He's currently taking up residence in my living room, though he will be moving outside in due course so he can enjoy my back garden

On a final note, I've got another 10km race on Sunday, and, regardless of my shin splints I'll be running in it. I'm also meant to have a 5 mile race 2 days later which my running club organizes.... I'll post afterwards to let you know how I get on...

"Never look a gift horse (aka a garden gnome) in the mouth"

No comments:

Post a Comment