"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt



Friday 13 February 2015

HRM - you and me need to talk

My watch of choice when running is the Garmin 305; despite it looking like you may be able to land a helicopter on it I absolutely love it...

Sure, I probably don't use the full functionality of it the way I should or could, but it has never let me down for my needs. The Garmin 305, as well as tracking my runs (and the occasional cycle) has a Heart Rate Monitor. I generally always wear the HRM, as, despite not doing any specific heart rate training, it's always interesting to see how my heart rate is after certain sections of runs. -Plus, I love having ALL THE DATA!

However, HRM and I haven't been getting on so well lately; we've been drifitng, or, more precisley, its been drifting, down my body whilst I'm running to be precise, ending up around my midriff. I've tried tightening it pre-run, pulling it up like some dodgy bra during run,  and today, tried something totally new...

...Today I went for the 'wear it high' approach. If you don't know what my 'wear it high' approach insinuates, well, basically, I wore it AN (above nipples).

Now, for all I know that could be the way to wear it anyway, but it had disastrous results; it still slipped down to my midriff, but clearly had to get past two, um, 'obstacles' on the way. I can only describe the sensation as being cheese grated, it wasn't pretty, and whilst there was no blood, there was a stinging sensation afterwards in the shower - before you ask, no it was not a pleasant stinging sensation.

So, HRM and I will have a chat, and if it doesn't behave, it's going back in the box.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! My HRM slips down too but I have to admit have never worn it AN. I tried it on back to front once as someone recommended this (no idea why) but it just told me I had a HR of about 7BPM ... so that was no good either! Maybe someone should invent some HRM-suspenders like old men wear on their trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe 7BPM is your actual heart rate and you're just super-human fit?! The HRM-suspender get up would render me looking like I'm wearing a bra and I need all the help I can get in not looking feminine as it is without actually wearing ladies apparel!

      Delete