"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt



Thursday 7 November 2013

All the rehab...

 ...and my inappropriate reference to Fifty Shades of Grey to my physio

My recovery from foot-gate continues, and, I think, it is finally feeling like it is properly on the mend. However I'm not even contemplating running, or thinking this is over by a long stretch, I'm just enjoying not being in constant pain when I'm sat at my desk all day, or relaxing on the couch at home.

I'm now using, as per the direction of the physio, an exercise resistance band - and a very dashing yellow colour it is too. It is the band that offers the least resistance, and suits my current foot strength, right down to the ground (way to ruin a guy's macho image).

When the physio originally presented the band to me, and then started wrapping it around my foot, I may have said something like 'this is all a bit Fifty Shades of Grey isn't it?!'... I don't think she was too enamoured with my comment, and after back tracking slightly by saying what an inappropriate thought for a Thursday morning (yes, it was a Thursday morning) and that I'd never read the books ('quite rightly too, and neither have I', was the reply) she went on to tell me that in her uni days, on a night out, one of her mates was tied up with an exercise band.

I didn't ask her to elaborate; I'd have been barred from physio forever, and knowing my made of glass body I'm pretty sure I'll be wanting to go back some day after all this is sorted.

So I'm merrily exercise band-ing away to strengthen the suspected ligament causing the issue... Below is a mid action shot of the 'swing' my foot must complete to really strengthen the aforementioned ligament.



Soon I plan to be able to pull a 4x4 car with the swing of my foot, and maybe run a bit too :)

Bye for now !

P.S Still can't do the splits...

P.P.S Does anyone else, when injured, get frustrated / annoyed at family / friends asking them are they running again yet? I've managed to resist retorting sarcastically 'if I was back running I think you'd know about it by now'



2 comments:

  1. I was expecting to see a split by now!

    I can just imagine your physios face, "Did he really just say..."

    My mum asks me constantly if I still run, as she is unconvinced that anyone who is not a size 6 can possibly run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it seems I am not dextined to do the splits!

      Fortunately the physio took my comment in the good nature it was meant :)

      Parents hey? Whata'ya do with them!

      Delete