"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt



Tuesday 1 January 2013

2012... The year of injury

I'm sitting in my house, in the living room, on the floor, in front of the fire, with Up just about to come on tv. Over the Christmas period I have read two autobiographies; Jessica Ennis', and McFly's (yes I'm aware I'm opening myself up to some ribbing with my latter read, but it was a christmas present, and very enjoyable)

Both of which have got me thinking about this past year, which I have dubbed the year of injury - simply because I have spent over 6 months of it being injured and not being able to run. As a runner, there is nothing worse than not being able to run, much like not being able to do something you love because it causes you physical pain (go figure! )

Since my earlier ramblings about the injury I sustained at the end of August I have since had a MRI scan, which revealed (at 3 months since original injury) I have bruised the ligaments in my right knee. I dread to think what the problem was at the time of injury that after 3 months the ligaments are still bruised (maybe REALLY bruised ligaments! )

Anyway,  since then I have paid for acupuncture which has helped,  slightly. I will in two weeks time be having physio on the NHS, having waited 6 weeks. Unfortunately I'm not holding out much hope of it helping. Maybe I'm being cycnical, but this injury has been going on for so long and has been having such an impact on my day to day life I don't, at this moment in time, envisage a time when I will be free from pain, let alone running again.

It feels like right now my life is a bit of a waste as I'm very restricted to what I can do without spending an evening wanting to chop my leg off or waking every couple of hours in the night with similar thoughts.

The highlights of 2012 for me were joining my running club, racing a train (even though I lost), and setting a 10k PB (oh and being turned down for a job promotion - but i can't really talk about that). That's about it. Fairly unimpressive stuff.

2013 has started the same way 2012 ended;  in (horrible achy knee) pain.

So, as I can't run at the moment I am trying to keep an open mind as to any oppurtunities that arise or come my way...

In the mean time, hopefully I'll be back running soon(ish), maybe for my birthday at the end of February.

"Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it" J K Rowling,  c/o Albus Dumbledore

No comments:

Post a Comment