"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt



Friday 1 June 2012

Running Club


Training has been going really well – managed another 10 mile run for my long slow run on Sunday and hope to increase the distance of that over the next couple of months.

Last night however, I trained with Liverpool Running Club. I have for a long time been umm’ing and arr’ing about joining a running club, as everyone who I’ve spoken to about them loves it, and tells me how they have improved as a runner. My worry has always been that whilst I always push myself in running to become faster, stronger, better (there’s a song in there somewhere I’m sure!!) it would become too much of a chore if I joined a club.

I pretty much told myself during injury that if I got back to fitness that I would join a running club – I just needed to give myself a push to go through with it.

I’m so glad I did because it was brilliant fun – being so used to pounding the streets on my own to run with others of similar ability and to do a structured run was fantastic. Although I think my competitiveness may have come out – I only ever run with other people in a race, so I found myself edging towards the front of the group all the time. I’m sure this will change over time.

You may be wondering what did we do in a running session; just run, surely?!

The straight forward answer is yes, but we completed a few ‘drills’ on the run to get the heart rate going, and to give me DOMS in my left glute today, uncool!!! A chain run was the first exercise; all running in a single file line and the person at the back sprints to the front then slows down to a jog.

There were three exercises that followed; with the first two splitting the group in half and a one v one session of short sprints taking place.

Unfortunately we got locked in the park we were running in and had to climb over a brick wall to get out. Luckily it wasn’t very high and we all had a laugh about climbing over it.

The atmosphere whilst training was great, and the range of ages made for fun banter – it had a really good feel to it.

So… I’ll definitely be going back again, and hopefully I’ll sign for them (if they’ll have me :p )

Due to the bank holiday on Tuesday there is no training, so I’ll have to wait until Thursday, which will be a track session day… I can feel my competitiveness coming out even more as I type!!

Happy running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment