"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt



Monday 21 May 2012

G’bye mate!


Computer Science & Electrical Engineering… That mouthful and jumble of words is the name of the degree course I completed at The University of Liverpool. While I was there I made 3 really good friends; Vassos, and 'the two Craigs'. Since we graduated, some 6 years ago, Vassos has moved back to his homeland – Greece, which, whilst gutting, was always expected. He stuck around and had a job over here for a couple of years, but me and the Craigs always knew he’d head home one day.

However, we didn’t expect that one of the ‘remaining’ three would end up emigrating to Australia!! That is the prospect and reality which I now face. Craig is leaving this week, taking with him his pregnant wife and 8 month old daughter. I live in Liverpool, Australia bound Craig lives in Salford, and the other Craig lives in Warrington. Whilst we don’t live many moons apart, since graduating we haven’t seen each other as much or as intensively as we did in university where we would see each other every day.

Given that we only really saw each other 3 - 4 times a year since university you would think I wouldn’t be altogether that bothered about him upping sticks. I’ve got to tell you, I’m absolutely gutted! It feels like a huge part of my life is being ripped out and made inaccessible. I pretty much grew up in university, and did that with my friends, and had such an amazing time.

Craig will be working for the same company, so he can have a welcome to Australia email waiting for him, and doubtless he will visit due to his fiancé’s family living here (he’s planning to come back to England once a year), but that does little to quell the feelings I’ve got.

Below is a picture of us three amigos from my 21st birthday night out. Craig Australia (well that’s how he’ll be known from now on!!) is on the left, Craig (England?!) on the right. I’m gonna miss the big guy! Honestly, make the most of your family and friends, because you don’t know how long they’re going to be around for.



So there you have it, my most emotional (and hopefully only – I can’t handle all this deep and meaningful stuff) blog. Sorry if I’ve bored you, or maybe induced a bit of mouth vomit (!) but I just wanted to put this story out there…

No comments:

Post a Comment